Sunday, March 16, 2014

Pursuit of Joy.


"We are all called to be missionaries. 
  We are all called to make a difference in the world around us. 
  Your mission is where your feet are. 
  God has a specific plan and role for us in this adventure. 
  If you don't do what you are meant to do, 
there is an empty space out there.
  God needs you. He needs you to play your role."
   ~ G. Swing
_________________________________________________________________________________

Spring Break 2014 I went on a missions trip to Long Island Bahamas. I had absolutely no idea what to expect when I got there, but when I left the island, I felt myself in complete awe of how God was moving in the people there. How God was moving in me. The entire week God nudged me nonstop.  The questions that I had had about purpose, direction, and life were given guidance this week. The doubt and lack of faith that I had finally subsided allowing me to find validation in the words of the missionaries there.  God spoke through the missionaries and intern there and this week finally gave me the strength and the guidance to answer the call that has been waiting for over a year now.  
_________________________________________________________________________________

Excerpt from my journal entry March 13, 2014 Stella Maris Long Island Bahamas:

I'm so glad that God is working in my life the way that He is. I have so many questions about my faith and about Gods purpose for my life that I can barely keep my head on straight. I know that God designed me for a purpose. That he created and manufactured me with a servants heart. There is no doubt about it. However, I'm still struggling with the question of in what capacity does God want me to serve others? What leap of faith do I need to take? Do I give up working at The Pittsburgh Project this summer? Or do I not go to graduate school and become a BYN intern like Josh? This is confusing and amazing all at the same time. Even though I'm still at this fork in the road in my life He's allowing that fork to be an amazing party full of awesome people, opportunities, and life experiences that I will never forget for as long as I live. Even through all of the hardships I've faced in my life and am still facing I wouldn't trade my life for anything. I wouldn't change who I am for a minute. I believe that we all have a purpose in life and that we all have a journey, a path that we are on. I may not always know where I am going but I know that I am not alone. I'm amazed at how far God has brought me. 

And on the last day of service here in Bahamas, I find myself asking the same BIG question that I asked myself and God on my last night in Guatemala...what is Gods plan for me? I've come to the conclusion that I'm supposed to be a missionary. That's set in stone. But HOW? Where am I supposed to end up? I've been praying about this literally every day since that last night in Guatemala, and I really feel as though this week in Bahamas was eye opening. It was earth shattering.  Every moment, every conversation, every devotional, I felt as if God was speaking to me.  He nudged me all week long.  

Sometimes I feel like I'm a flower...with every step in my journey being another growing point for me. I know that certain events in my life have watered me but I know that it is God that is responsible for my growth. God needs me. He needs me to live out my purpose and to fulfill the plans that He has for my life.  I have to figure out where my spot is in this world. Where should I be. Maybe it's in Guatemala. Or maybe it's here in the Bahamas. Wherever it is I hope I can feel Gods presence radiate like the sun. I hope that I find God's joy...
______________________________________________________

…and I have. My one week in Long Island has been the most earth shattering God experience that I've ever had. It gave me the confidence and faith to follow His plan for my life with reckless abandon. To stop worrying and letting fear decide the course that my life goes on.  This has been thee most liberating experience of my life.  And while it is almost terrifying to realize that the plan(s) that I once had for my life are no more, it gives me a sense of ease and contentment knowing that I have a better understanding of what life is.  And how you should live your life. And what life is.  What it's about.  Life is about loving God, loving people, and pursuing His joy.  Period.  
______________________________________________________

"The possession of Christ's joy is the byproduct of doing what Christ has designed for us to do."
~ Rev. Bryn MacPhail




No comments:

Post a Comment